Me, my life looks not too different than the way it did when I saw 2010 come in. I can really only think of a few changes:
- I prepared my two youngest to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation for the first time in December.
- I lost 20 pounds and have kept it off for 6 months -- this is the first January my weight has been this low for probably close to 10 years.
- I have exercised near-daily and intentionally for 8 months now.
- I have given away or tossed over 100 large-trash-bags of stuff that we had in our house.
Now, though -- my youngest is 8 years old, several of my kids are grown and either in college or working, and I feel like I should go back to college or get a job or do SOMETHING that has a learning curve. The opportunities where I am seem limited, though maybe it is my perspective that is limited.
In some ways, I think, I was getting in shape and lightening up the household load because those issues were getting in the way of doing something more. But having cleared the path, I am not sure what the "more" is!
Maybe 2011 will tell me -- in the meantime I keep n mind what Milton wrote, that
...they also serve who only stand and wait.
and what St Francis de Sales wrote (somewhere) that ordinary life is a daily training for what God has in mind for you, whatever that is.
Oh yes, and
5. I learned to operate a snowblower! There's something!