Thursday, December 30, 2010

Stepping Stones -- Morning Time with Ambleside

Ambleside stepping stones, Lake District, 1890


With my new netbook (!)  I thought I would try to do more reading aloud off the computer rather than printing out lots of materials.  So I decided to post about it so I could (1)  keep a running list of links and (2) talk about homeschooling for a change! 

Today I downloaded Kindle and Nook apps so I can read them on my netbook. But in fact so far I haven't really needed them too much since a lot of books are fairly readable online.  

Now I'm making a list of the books we want to read and where to find them online.    If I can find them at Google Books, that is my first choice usually.

If I can't find them there I look for them at other places.  I am putting a note by all the ones that AREN'T at Google E-books. 

As we finish a book I will put it on the bottom with a date.

I usually go to Ambleside Online Year 2 for book choices and then add my own. I love Ambleside's reading choices--  a lot of them are the books I grew up on.  

I found the Ambleside photo at Old Pictures. I really like it!   I think I will use it for any future Morning Time posts.

Anyway, here is the list as it stands right now.  It will probably change over time.


Reading Now

The Secret Garden
Treasures of the Snow (not online)


Our Island Saints At Heritage History
An Island Story

For the Future
The Little Duke
Handbook of Nature Study

The Pied Piper of Hamelin
The Story of Doctor Dolittle
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
The Wind in the Willows
Understood Betsy
Tales from Shakespeare
Parables from Nature
Otto of the Silver Hand
Five Little Peppers

Chanticleer
Red Fairy Book
Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales (Ambleside Collection)

(Ambleside Poetry Collections)
Walter De La Mare
Eugene Field and James Whitcombe Riley
Christina Rossetti
Year 6 Poetry



Others that aren't on Ambleside list
Amongst the Flowers
Tom Playfair
Puck of Pook's Hill
New Testament Parables for Children


Storybook of Science by JH Fabre
Joan of Arc by HA Guerber (substitute for Diane Stanley version)

or, from Heroines every child should know


Finished Books
Viking Tales
12/10
King of the Golden River
11/10

2 comments:

  1. I have found that reading off the computer or my ipad hurts my eyes. Whereas a regular old book or the Kindle doesn't. I think it is the back lighting.

    Wonderful list of books! I wish I could just read all day instead of having to do other stuff, LOL!

    Happy new year, Willa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right about the effect on the eyes. Plus the netbook isn't quite so convenient to hold. So we'll see how it works!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!