Sunday, June 13, 2010

It's Monday -- What Are You Reading?


(I got the meme at Laughing Stars Bibliophile).

I thought I'd play this since I actually have been reading recently. I am spending 20-45 minutes a day on the exercise bike and that means time to read since I am a lazy exerciser and never get myself in so much pain I can't concentrate on a book!

This means I actually have finished some books for the first time in a long time. No fiction : (. I used to be addicted to fiction -- honest. I read a book or two per day sometimes. Now I've swung the other way and hardly ever get to a novel except when I'm in Alaska visiting my mother.

So all these books are of the religious or self-help genre. Now that I've warned you, here goes:

Read in the Last Month

Saint Gianna Molla: Wife, Mother and Doctor. A short biography and then some reflections by her husband.
Edith Stein: A Biography -- The Untold Story of the Philosopher and Mystic Who Lost Her Life at Auschwitz . Another biography.

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite.
Thin for Life: 10 Keys to Success from People Who Have Lost Weight and Kept it Off
(those two I blogged about -- index here)

Why Women Need Chocolate
by Debra Waterhouse.

The Fire Within: St Teresa, St John of the Cross and the Gospel on Prayer by Father Dubay. A reread. Lots of good stuff but I found the middle, about the interior castle, very hard to understand.

Little Catechism of the Cure d'Ars -- a reread.

Books I am Reading Now:

Compulsive Overeater: The Basic Text for Compulsive Overeaters. One man's version of the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, as applied to compulsive eating.

Battle of the Books: The Curriculum Debate in America. About the literature "canon" and how the ideas have changed.

Winning Souls for Christ by Raoul Plus SJ

Strength Training for Women

The Book of Mary by Henri Daniel Rops

Love and Friendship by Allan Bloom

Books Read Aloud or Reading Aloud:

Heidi
The Moffats
Rufus M
Five Children and It (in progress)
Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
Return of the King (almost finished)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!