Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday Free for All

What's running through my brain, in no particular order:



  • Aristotle! I decided to try to read through his works on logic because according to tradition they are the stepping stones for further understanding in systematic philosophy. I didn't know what specific books comprised his work on logic, and my oldest son wasn't awake to ask, so I went and looked at the Thomas Aquinas College curriculum. You will see that freshman Philosophy covers the following:

Plato Meno, Protagoras, Gorgias, Apology, Crito, Phaedo
Porphyry On the Predicaments (Isagoge)
Aristotle Categories, On Interpretation, Prior Analytics, Posterior Analytics, Topics
St. Thomas Aquinas Proem to the Posterior Analytics
Further research told me that the books listed by Aristotle above are called The Organon. There are links to other online resources at that link. Aristotle's logical work are listed here. Also Volume 1 and Volume 2 at Google Books. Also some writings by Duane Berquist at this site.


  • Faith and Reasons! Interesting article at JimmyAkin.Org. Ah, I do like a good point by point apologetics discussion that dives into scripture and history. This one lays out the Catholic position on several areas of doctrine. Good reading. Also see here for information on the Big Ten.
  • Football! Our football team is going against our mountain rivals at Yosemite this evening.... it's the last game in the regular season. Too bad it's going to be SOO COOLLD out there.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Willa! I finally found your blog again! It seems you and I are reading totally different books these days! You are reading stuff my poor sleep deprived brain can't begin to comprend while I'm reading Mrs Sharps Traditions again and Mrs. Dunwoody's Guide to Homekeeping! Isn't interesting the twists and turns life takes? It seems all thing come full circle and begin again eventually.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!