Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chronological List of Books for 2011






Heritage History is a treasure trove!    I spent the better part of this morning organizing the books I listed for this year in chronological order (where possible).    For context, I looked for links to biographies over at Heritage History. 



Chronological List of Reading for 2011


This is a Google document.  It's definitely under construction.  .... more of an outline than anything else.  

We are studying the time period between Pentecost and to... wherever we get, but I'm trying to get up to the 1300's anyway.  We'll see.  

Paddy studied the middle ages last year, but this is from more of a "Saints and Heroes" perspective.  And Kieron hasn't studied Church History formally, so we're doing that. 


Most of the links are to Heritage History.  Where they are not, they are links to online versions of the books listed, or to context articles, say from Wikipedia.  


I am glad that is done.... for now... !

But it gets the main books I had in my planning box listed out in proper order.   So I feel good about that.  As we move through the time periods I can get into more details as things come up. 



For more chronological reading lists designed by homeschoolers, check out:
That last page is from a site that has extensive resources for homeschoolers who do literature based studies --- check it out : ).

If you look here, there is a way to plan out history units to cover a chronological cycle.    Good for people like me who like to see the big picture of things.    It has a section every year devoted to US History, which is a good idea, but I don't know if I'll do it.   We would be on Year 3.

There's also a science plan that covers the elementary school years in unit topics.   Traditionally I have not really covered science formally in the elementary school years, and it hasn't mattered.  My kids go on and do fine in science.  But I thought this might give me a way to organize my many easy reader science books, at least, and maybe also a fun way for Aidan to learn concrete topics.    History is really too abstract for him to understand; even the moral tale approach doesn't really ring with him, though he likes to listen and gets some good vocabulary words out of the stories.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!