Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Battle of Lepanto



A few years ago I made a resource file for studying Lepanto (pdf).   The 540th anniversary of the famous battle is on October 7,  and in honor of th e victory the Church celebrates the feast day of Our Lady of the Rosary.

The file contains the poem by Chesterton, and some other information, including a narrative from Baldwin Project about Don Juan.  

There is a historical fiction book called Blood Red Crescent  which is a good read.   Did you know Miguel Cervantes, later to be the author of Don Quixote, was wounded in this battle?  He appears in the novel.   I think I'll put it on the list for next year, since this year we are on the early church chronologically but next year we'll hopefully be up to the early modern age.

It looks like I wrote some sort of Study Guide for Blood Red Crescent back then, but I don't remember it.  Still, take a look if you are interested (and tell me what it looked like if you do -- I haven't checked the link yet)

That reminds me to work on updating the packet for next year.  I don't think the maps were the best, and some of the links are probably broken after three years

Oh, I forgot, I also made some Lepanto timeline figures (pdf) to go with the packet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!