Friday, May 13, 2011

Spring Challenge #5: Your Own Person

Mystie's last Spring Challenge was "your own person". 

She writes:

If we, as wives and mothers and homemakers, are the very heart of the home, that means we set the tone of our home. Moreover, our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, and have you ever read about how ornate and beautiful God prescribed His first temple to be? How much work did God think His temple was worthy of? Moreover, as wives we picture the Church — and God always speaks of cleaning and beautifying his bride. By taking the time to maintain and beautify our very selves, we proclaim that God’s work is worthy of adornment, that God loves and desires beauty, and that the Church and our homes are glorious things

This is very true, of course. And I need the reminder. I'm usually good about taking time for myself, but not always so good about thinking about my presentation.

This being said, I couldn't think of much to do, but here is what I came up with.

“maintenance” task your person needs

This one wasn't a surface change, though I think it helps my surface. I started exercising again. As a 48 year old woman, I need to keep my cardiovascular system in working order, and my bones from losing density. Plus exercise helps my mood, my stress level, and my complexion. The secret for me is LIGHT exercise and strength training. I don't like being out of breath -- makes me panicky!  I finally figured out why I was always falling off my exercise routines!  So when I learned to take it easy, I started enjoying myself and I can already  feel the change.

one “extra,”

For the "extra" I cut my coffee intake. Caffeine has many benefits, but I was drinking too much coffee out of habit, and so I cut back to 1-2 cups a day (rather than 4-5).  Honestly, I don't feel that much different.  I'm apparently not someone who is much affected either way by caffeine.   I was expecting to get headaches and want to sleep more, but it didn't work that way.  Still, I'm going to continue with the limited amount. 

one “superfluous” beautification.

I couldn't think of anything. But finally I realized I had been procrastinating cutting my hair. And it was really starting to bother me. I like it better when it's  fairly short. I only took an "after" picture -- partly because I did the cutting on impulse, and partly because it didn't really look too much different "before" but it feels much better!


So in that sense maybe it could be called superfluous!

Aidan took the picture!!

2 comments:

  1. Do you cut your own hair? Someday I might have to learn to do that. :) It's nice to finally "see" you; I like your hair color. I always think it's refreshing when ladies allow their hair to change, rather than color it. I find myself wondering what shade mine will turn in time.

    Exercising is a good one! I have finally admitted to myself that exercise shouldn't be a "lose the baby weight" strategy, but part of my lifestyle.

    Thanks for doing the challenge with me! It's been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mystie,

    My mom never colored her hair and I always admired that so I went the same way. I feel like I earned all those grey hairs so I don't want to cover them up. At least that's how I feel right now.

    I cut my own hair a couple of years ago and it worked all right so I decided I would just keep doing it. Before we moved here, I had a friend who would cut it for me.

    Thanks for all the motivation! My house looks better than it has for a long time!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!