Saturday, March 6, 2010

Year 9 Plans -- first draft

I'm starting this now but it will probably change over the next few months:

Religion -- Mother of Divine Grace Faith and Morality or maybe Quest for Happiness.   Supplement with books.
Latin -- Henle 1 (?), or this Linney's Latin class looks interesting, but I'd have to buy more books and I want to avoid that.   Use Latin is Fun for relief. 
History/Literature -- Mother of Divine Grace Ancient History syllabus. (I see that they've revised this -- I have the old syllabus featuring Anne Carroll's text but this one calls for Warren Carroll's Founding of Christendom. I doubt if I am going to buy a new syllabus so I'll probably reread the Carroll book and try to design my own).   I'll use Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World for the illustrations and dates and maps.   Supplement with various books.  see here.

English
--
  1. Vocabulary -- SAT book
  2. Grammar -- Daily Grammar, Diagramming
  3. Composition -- Jensen's Format Writing OR Classical Composition
  4. Some literary analysis resource -- a friend told me about IEW Teaching the Classics but it's pricey, so I don't know. I might be able to manage this on my own -- I'm a lit major after all.
  5. Traditional Logic
Science -- Biology by Miller/Levine, Mother of Divine Grace Natural History syllabus or, here is an AP Biology online supplement which looks interesting.  Supplement with books from MacBeth's Opinion.

Math
-- Jacob's Geometry and a bit of Euclid.   Also algebra review from various sites online. 

Elective
-- not sure yet. Computer programming would be good but I'll have to find a way to teach it.

Somewhere during the year a study skills class, and a SAT prep intensive.

I am going to have to write out lesson plans, I think. I'm trying to figure out some kind of blog format. The kids really like the lesson assessments and "mastery" focus so I will have to figure out a way to do that.

Some links:

Why and How I Teach with Historical Fiction
Historical Novels
1000 Good Books
Baldwin Project
Ambleside Online -- Ancient History
A Book in Time (reading lists)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!