Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Exercise Aversion

I hate exercise. I hate sweating. I hate being starved of breath. I hate my heartrate scurrying frantically like a Douglas squirrel in one of our live traps. I hate the way the endless moments seem to drag themselves out in the tedium of discomfort. You know you need at least 20 minutes but even 1 minute seems like too much. And once it's over for one day, you have to do it again the next if you really want it to work. And the next day after that.

Yes, I do hate exercise. For that reason and also because it's a good thing I think I really ought to make up my mind to do it regularly and get past that aversion.

The bearing blog has a nice series on induced exercise. She takes an engineering approach which rings well with me. I think I will reread it, and then try to start some sort of exercise regimen. I have been taking daily walks with my young ones, and I intend to continue that, but walking with a 7 year old and a mildly handicapped 10 year old is not the road to athleticism (unless the 10 year old gets in the limited-mobility wheelchair and you have to push him up the steep grades in our neighborhood, then you get more of a workout than your lungs and calf muscles can handle).

Perhaps 20 minutes a day on the exercise cycle, at least 4 times a week, would fill in the gap.

I used to do the Walk to Rivendell; maybe I'll try that again. I think I got stuck on the way to Lothlorien. But maybe I'll just say I got there, since I have been doing some walking in the past year, and start heading for Rauros Falls. : ).

The etymology of "exercise" is "condition of being in active operation." Yes, active operation. Not my favorite way of being. I like receptive suspension. So it's good to dislocate the status quo.

Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win.  Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified.