Monday, June 15, 2009

Recollecting

Some quotes from Conversations in Practice of the Presence of God. which seemed useful to me in something that often worries me -- HOW best to sanctifiy the daily duties?

(I'm breaking up the quotes with headings for easier reading)

The essential point:

...our sanctification (does) not depend upon changing our works, but in doing that for God's sake which we commonly do for our own ... the most excellent method he had found of going to God was that of doing our common business without any thought of pleasing men, and (as far as we are capable) purely for the love of God.


Approaching the duties of one's state in life


"..When he had thus in prayer filled his mind with great sentiments of that infinite Being, he went to his work appointed in the kitchen (for he was cook to the society). There having first considered severally the things his office required, and when and how each thing was to be done, he spent all the intervals of his time, as well before as after his work, in prayer.


A prayer said before beginning:

..When he began his business, he said to God... 'O my God, since Thou art with me, and I must now, in obedience to Thy commands, apply my mind to these outward things, I beseech Thee to grant me the grace to continue in Thy presence; and to this end do Thou prosper me with Thy assistance, receive all my works, and possess all my affections."


Examen after finishing the day's work:

...When he had finished he examined himself how he had discharged his duty; if he found well, he returned thanks to God; if otherwise, he asked pardon and without being discouraged, he set his mind right again, and continued his exercises of the presence of God as if he had never deviated from it.


Brother Laurence said further that it first it was very difficult to keep God in mind all the time in that way but that over time it became a habit. Nice to hear since I can so easily get caught up in the day and not even realize it until much later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!