Saturday, August 27, 2016

Yarns of Different Sorts

Yesterday I finished the Jefferson shawl.   It was an easy knit -- I had to shorten the purl/slip part of it (on the top...) because I only wanted to use one skein of yarn.

It was Belle yarn, from DROPS.  

I like the Kriskrafter patterns.   They are simple to do (important for me, because I knit when I'm doing other things, so I don't like to count out); but they have a lot of visual impact.    And generally speaking I prefer thin shawls -- crescents, boomerangs and slender triangles -- because then you can wear them different ways -- as a scarf, as a head-wrap, and in the traditional way around the shoulders.

Today I'm working on this Easy Lace Scarf.    I elongated the ends so they are less like a scarf and more like a thin shawl.

Since I wrote the lines above, some time has passed.  I've finished a couple more mini-shawls, and done some lesson planning.   The past week was busy, but I don't want to stop blogging, so this post is just a placeholder until I have the focus to do a real one.

I started reading Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard, and am reading a science fiction series of stories by Clifford Simak, called City.    My oldest son said he was reading it, so I thought I would try to read along.   It's about the human race being superseded by rational canines.   The commentary between the stories is written by the dogs and is somewhat like the historical-critical method of Biblical exegesis.     Fear and Trembling, as you know, is about Abraham and Isaac.    A very different sort of exegesis indeed.   I've only read the first bit, so I do not know what to think.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!