Monday, August 8, 2016

Quotidian in August




Maybe Monday is a good day for a journal or daybook type post.... the quotidian part of the blog title. I'll quickly list everything I can think of.

Yesterday we went up our mountain to visit my in-laws' cabin where my daughter and her husband and baby were staying for a few days.    While up there my husband and I hiked up another 2000 feet, a 7 mile round trip.   It was beautiful, but most of my pictures didn't turn out very well.   This is the best one.  It was a moderately difficult climb but unlike our last hike (1) we had enough water (2) we didn't get lost (3) I didn't get sunburned.    So, all good.

We also made s'mores around the campfire, while up there.

We also had our Aristotle seminar for the first time in almost a month.   One week our normal schedule was interrupted by a family reunion, the next week we had the norovirus, and the next week I was just back from traveling.   But this week we discussed the second part of chapter 5 on substance, in Categories.    It is a difficult chapter, and I'm glad we have it mostly behind us.

I recently read and am presently rereading an article by a TAC tutor called On the Liberal Art of Grammar.  The reason I encountered it is sort of indirect.    My daughter and son-in-law have been teaching their little daughter some Latin, in a very age-appropriate way (she is just under two years old).   They sing their night prayers (Marian antiphons, I think -- she sometimes tries to sing them to me) and sprinkle a few Latin phrases in with their normal conversations with her.  She soaks it up.    My son-in-law PA (I'm going with initials on this blog now that my kids are adults in order to avoid them coming up on name searches) mentioned Mr Nieto's stem method of teaching Latin, which is used at TAC for freshman year.   I googled it and didn't find much, but I did find that article, plus a series of Quizlets on his Latin vocabulary.

Speaking of Latin links, here is a place where you can download Mass propers in Latin.   I was searching for the Novus Ordo mass readings in Latin, but apparently those don't exist; only Tridentine ones, but that's all right.   This is a nice site, which also includes several resources on Gregorian chant (including papal documents).

I am trying to do a better job of keeping the house tidy and organized (an ongoing, quixotic tilting endeavor of mine).    My newest habit in formation is laser-focusing on the downstairs common-living area -- the kitchen, great-room, laundry room, bathroom and hall.   Those areas get trashed very quickly with 8 people plus a toddler.    If I work daily at them, the other areas can slide a little more.    I will let you know how it goes.

Ah, and knitting!  I am working on a Nymphiladea shawl.     I like to make shawls that can be finished at a smaller size than normal, so I can use them as scarves/ neck warmers or as head scarves.

And music.... this week for music at mass:  (1) The Church's One Foundation; (2) Alleluia, Sing to Jesus (3) O Breathe On Me, O Breath of God (3) Holy God, We Praise Thy Name.   (I play the clavinova, which is what we have for accompaniment in our small mission chapel -- it's a digital piano which has a few extra voices, including organ).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!