Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Dragon Brothers and Insect Brothers

I finished City by Clifford Simak -- elegiac -- and started right in on The Brothers Karamazov.    I tried to read this great Russian novel several years ago, before I had a Kindle.   I got up to the famous Grand Inquisitor dialogue and then got tired of lugging the monstrous tome around.    So I am starting again from the beginning.   I'm just past the part where Dmitri confesses his insect-like nature to his younger brother Alyosha, and then the back story of Smerdyakov is presented.   I expect I will not have to choose out another novel for perhaps a month.

Second son BC left early this morning to return to college.  AM is consoling himself by talking about and planning the future occasions where he will see his absent siblings again.

There is definitely a fall crispness in the morning air these days, and I have started bringing out my fleece-lined tights, though there will be little occasion to wear them for several more weeks because the afternoons are still plenty warm.

Yesterday we found out our dragon names.  You take the last two letters of your first name, the first two letters of your last name, the last two letters of your mom's name, and the first letter of your dad's name.  Sort of like a knit/purl rib stitch.   My dragon name is Larylar, which actually seems like a good female dragon name.   Or, it would be Lafolar, if you took my maiden name.  I like that one too.  I think I might like it better. My youngest is Ckrylak, which also seems good for a dragon.   It turns out that 3 of my boys have exactly the same dragon name (Anrylak) and two more have very similar ones (Onrylak and Amrylak).   Who knew we had such a theme going with our boys' ending syllables.   My husband would be called Inryllm.   That's also a nice name.   But the problem with the identically named boys seems to prevent me from being able to adopt dragon pseudonyms for this blog.   (If I used their confirmation names though, two would become Isrylak and Elrylak,  Better.)

The rest of this post is going to be about shawls, so please be warned.

-----------------

This is the Nurmilintu I just finished.   I wanted to use a multi fingering yarn I found from childhood in my old trunk a couple of months ago.   But it was incredibly rough to the feel (acrylic) probably because I bought the least expensive I could.  I used to knit for my dolls sometimes, and they never protested about harsh yarn.   So I decided to use the acrylic for the lace part of the shawl and a soft sport weight yarn from Knitpicks for the garter part.    I did some rows of acrylic in with the sport weight garter just to make it blend better.   Considering this experimenting, I am happy with the way it turned out.  I would like to make another Nurmilintu sometime as it was easy and the results were satisfying.    With this project I finally learned to do a picot bind-off.


---------------------------------------

This is the Arrowhead Lace Shawl.    I used a Yarn Bee cotton/acrylic blend called "Denim in Color" but weirdly, I can't find a single thing to link to.  But anyway, it is a soft and somewhat bulky yarn and nice to work with.    I like the way it turned out even though the lines are broken. The broken lines make it look like a bunch of conifers, which seems suitable since our house is surrounded by the things. I modified the pattern to add the rib up at the top for extra texture.  But I realized while knitting this that I am not fond of triangular shawls because I want something to wrap around my neck or head, not something to rest on my shoulders and get in my way.     If I do this again I will try for a shallower shape.

 ------------------------

Here is the Silvretta crescent shawl I finished a while ago.    Probably the most demanding shawl pattern I have done yet, but it was delightful to work on because of the yarn I used.   When I get through my stash (ha ha) I want to get more nicer yarns to work with.

I like crescents.  And I have learned how to make a garter tab.


------------------------------

Here is a quick shawl I am presently blocking in a weird improvised way.     It is called Quite Simply Scarf.    I used a bulky, tweedy acrylic yarn but it didn't have its documentation so I don't know what it is called.      I like Kriskrafter's method for shawls.    She has you do a cast-on at the beginning of each row, so it grows fast horizontally but is straight at the top.  


-------------------------------------
Finally, this is another experiment in progress.   I am using the Unilintu pattern, and holding two strands of size 10 crochet thread together.    It's another triangle, but designed to be thin enough so that I may be able to wrap it around my neck.  I like the way triangles look, just not how they wear, but with thinner yarn and a quicker increase outwards it may be all right.


I've actually made a couple of other scarves recently but that's probably enough for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!